Monday 10 June 2013

Moto3: Zulfahmi Khairuddin - Q&A

A Red Bull KTM Ajo generated interview with Malaysian Moto3 star Zulfahmi Khairuddin...

Q:
Do you like the travel involved in Grand Prix racing? Do you get a chance to familiarise yourself with the places you go to?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"The truth is that during the season we don't have much time to get away. At most you have a day to see the city where a GP is held sometimes, but that's not the norm. You get used to spending all day at the circuit. It is a pity, because I really like to visit new countries, try their typical food and meet people from around the world."

Q:
You spent a year in Europe in 2010. What was that experience like and why did you choose to go back to Malaysia?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"The experience of 2010, living in Italy, was very good and important for me. It was my first year in Europe and I didn't know many people, nor was I familiar with the food - very important! - or the weather. It was a little difficult, especially during the first three months, because I was not used to everything around me.

“I especially struggled with the cold and the food. After the first few months I got used to it and finally I felt good and learned a lot from the people around me. 

“For the past two years I have lived in Malaysia. It's better for me to live there because I like to go home, to see my family and my friends. Moreover, the weather in Malaysia is always good. As is normal, I guess, there is nowhere else where I feel so comfortable."

Q:
And if you had to spend time away from Malaysia, where would you like to go?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"In Barcelona, which is a city that I like a lot. Many of my team members live there and I love it."

Q:
Many of your team members are Spanish and a big part of your preseason is spent in Spain. What do you like about the country?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"The beach, the city [Barcelona], the people... This country has many good circuits and racing is very popular here."

Q:
Is it true that you can sleep very easily on things like plane journeys?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"It's true; I have the ability to sleep anytime, anywhere. I need only five minutes to fall asleep! Last year, noticing this, the team gave me a cushion!"

Q:
More and more Malaysians are becoming MotoGP fans every year. Do you think we will see more Malaysian riders in the World Championship in the future?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"I hope so, but it is difficult to find riders who can make the leap up, because there is so much talent at World Championship level. Nevertheless, I think that the Sepang Circuit and the people involved there are doing a very good job. In my country there are some very talented riders."

Q:
Last year you took your first podium at Sepang. What do you remember about that?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"It was a Grand Prix that I will never forget: My first podium in Moto3! I felt bad about not being able to win in front of all the fans, but the experience helped and next time I will shut the door tighter on the last corner."

Q:
Where do you see yourself in five years' time?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"I don't know; for me to be in the World Championship is already a dream come true. Few riders know what they will be doing in five years' time. I would like to be able to one day ride in MotoGP. It is very difficult but I will work hard for it."

Q:
Final question: If you weren't a rider, what would you have liked to have been?

Zulfahmi Khairuddin:
"Something to do with bikes, as I love this world. So I would have liked to be a mechanic or engineer."

Crash. Net

No comments:

Post a Comment