Monday 13 May 2013

Hector Barbera statement following assault charge

MotoGP rider Hector Barbera has released the following statement after he and his girlfriend were convicted of mutual assault following a domestic incident.

The altercation occurred in a hotel near Jerez, following the recent Spanish MotoGP round.

Although initially facing a jail sentence after the fast-tracked court case, Barbera and his former girlfriend will be able to do community work instead. 

The Avinitia Blusens rider's participation in this weekend's French Grand Prix is not thought to be under threat. 

Barbera posted the following statement on his Facebook page:



“Given the information that have been published in different press and media, I want to clarify with this communication how the facts occurred in the night of the 9th of May. I obviously do not feel proud at all of what happened, and I want to express my apologies to all people, especially to my family, friends and team members.

“In this procedure, I must assume my duties and responsibilities, but, I feel myself (as also stated by the Court) as an attacked and affected party.

“After the opportune denouncements, we strictly follow the protocol marked by the law for that kind of facts. Once in the Court, both parties declared and were visited by the medical examiner, who certified the injuries I had. Out of respect I won't provide more details about this. Both parties accepted the Jerez Court decision.

“Me and my previous partner immediately accepted this Court decision as an attempt to conclude not only this legal procedure but also the unfair social and media treatment I have suffered undeservedly with opinions and statements which are far away from reality, all based on unverified rumours.

“I am one of three children, two girls and one boy. We grew up together, learning the values of respect, fairness and love. I would never think of hurting or damaging any person, no matter woman or man. I am firmly against any type of mistreatment or abuse to anyone.

“To me this matter is now definitely closed and I just want to dedicate all my efforts to my sporting career, as I have been doing until now. Refer to my Press and legal advisors if required.”

Barbera, presently second in the privateer CRT MotoGP class, was involved in a drink-drive 'incident' in January 2012.

No comments:

Post a Comment